Wakefield & District MAG
Minutes of the 11th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Held at 8:00pm on Wednesday 9th January 2013, at the Grey Horse, Kirkgate, Wakefield
1) Welcome by chair and introduction of Yorkshire Region / National Observer
Steve Travis, Branch Chairman & Rep opened the meeting at 20:10 hrs. Wayne Rooney, Yorkshire Regional Rep in attendance as Region observer.
All members in the branch area had previously been notified in writing, via the December 2012 mailshot, of the date, time, venue and agenda for the 2012 AGM. The details of the AGM were also publicised in The Road magazine, on the branch website (wakefield.mag-uk.org) and the MAG website (www.mag-uk.org)
Apologies received from Lorna Jaques & Pete Taplin for non-attendance at the AGM
3) Minutes of previous AGM and matters arising
The minutes of the previous AGM (for the 2011 year), held on Wednesday 11th January 2012 were circulated. These minutes were also published on the branch website before the AGM. The minutes were Proposed (Ian Whittaker) and Seconded (Chas Milner) and voted on by all meeting attendees as being a true and accurate account of that meetings proceedings.
No Matters Arising
4) Committee Reports
Reps Annual Report for 2012
Covered in Finance Officers Report
- Attended the Leeds MAG Fred Hill Run in force
- Laid on a mini-bus to the AGC with 7 members in attendance
- Attended Barnsley MAG's AGM
- Big turnout in support of Leeds MAG for their demo run in May
- Big turnout of Wakefield members at the June MAG National Demo
- Attended Yorkshire Region AGM
- Contacted East Coast Railways / Wakefield Council to complain about disproportionate parking charges for motorcycles at Westgate Railway Station
- Contacted WY Police Commissioner (with a view to setting up a meeting)
- Created Wakefield & Yorkshire MAG Ethanol Campaign
- Made Freedom of information Act request for m/c theft figures in wakefield & 5 Towns district
Runs, Rallies, MAG meetings and other Social Events
- Celebrated our 10th Birthday in January this year, and like all 10 year olds, we had a birthday party and got pissed
- Our Post Christmas Auction raised £600 (a record), £400 for MAG with remainder split between Yorkshire Air Ambulance, Wakefield Hospice and NABD
- Held a night at the greyhound racing at Kilnsley dog track (our 3rd visit now)
- Held a well attended Charity Pet Food Run to Whitehall Dog Rescue in East Ardsley and RSPCA at Tingley, delivering doggie treats. Featured in an article in the RSPCA magazine too, thanking us for our donations
- Helped our local charity (Wakefield Hospice) with their annual 10K Race (Wakefield MAG providing Mobile Race Marshals) - something we have done for a good many years now
- Half a dozen Wakefield members attended ITV, incl marshalling the bike show at ITV and Aidy Burns still owes us a big fat bribe for awarding his bike best in show
- Marshalled Blues tent at FYP (although for the first time in 7 years we had to ask for help to fill the Blues tent marshals rota, although 100% marshalling record for all Wakefield MAG members who went to the FYP)
- Had a well attended Trans-Pennine Pub Crawl
- Hosted a bike show with Barnsley MAG at the Dodworth Gala (Bike Show was great, Gala was poor, would have been a total non-entity with no bike show)
- Helped the VJMC put on their excellent all-Japanese bike show at Lotherton Hall as we have for many years now, together with hosting the Yorkshire MAG stand
- Attended and marshalled at the YPR, incl. Set-up etc
- Held a Treasure Hunt (an annual event, for many years running now)
- Attended Leeds MAG Halloween Party
- Held a very well attended Biker Quiz Nite
- Attended Remembrance Sunday parade in Wakefield follwed by RBLRB bike parade in Mirfield
- Well attended Christmas Do in early December
- Held Various rideouts throughout the year
- Supported (by members attending) most other Yorkshire Branches events where we could
- 83 Current members in November 2012 (when membership DB cut for mailshot) - Lowest membership since records maintained. Stats:
- 99 members in December 2011
- 105 members in December 2010
- 113 members in 2009
- 116 in 2008 (highest ever membership)
- previous recorded lowest membership level: 100 in 2004
- Average membership has been around 107.
- Chased lapsed members over 12 months + period (prompts to renew: twice in email newsletters, once in mailshot; one dedicated renewal mailing (39 emails, 3 posted letters & 1 hand delivered letter) - 33 members lapsed (and didn't renew in 2012)
- Monthly email newsletters produced for membership covering local, regional and national news & updates (160 odd on the mailing list). These are published on the website too & plugged on Facebook
- Annual mailshot sent in December (majority emailed (57) / hand delivered (9) to control costs, but some still posted (19) where no current email address is held)
- Website regularly maintained with current content & events reports for most of the events and activities we get involved with. Site is regularly looked at (19,000 hits over the last 4 and a half years)
- Facebook site maintained with current content
Achievements against 2012 Development Plan
- Work with Wakefield Council for provision of secure motorcycle parking within Wakefield and the surrounding district [Secure Parking not achieved, but dialogue maintained - PARTIAL SUCCESS]
- Continue to support Wakefield Hospice events: Wakefield Hospice Bike Show - [ACHIEVED]
- Initiate Major recruitment drive to increase MAG membership within WF postcode area (Target 117 - 1 more than previous high in 2008) - NOT ACHIEVED]
- Maximise Fund raising for MAG fighting fund - Target: £1,200 (to beat 2011 total) - [PARTIAL SUCCESS - Achieved 83% of target]
- Continue to support other local MAG groups with their activities - [ACHIEVED]
- Hold formal organised monthly ride-outs - [ACHIEVED]
- Continue to host our long standing annual events:
- Post Christmas Auction [ACHIEVED]
- Pet Food Run [ACHIEVED]
- Mid-Summer Party [ACHIEVED - Mid-Summer Party not held, but replaced with Birthday Party instead]
- Treasure Hunt [ACHIEVED]
- Biker Quiz Nite [ACHIEVED]
- Continue to support the major Yorkshire MAG events (ITV, FYP, YPR) - push for 2 marshalling shifts p.p. - [ACHIEVED]
- Continue to support VJMC with hosting their Japanese Bike Show - [ACHIEVED]
- Take an active role (along with Barnsley & Sheffield) with the set-up & take-down of the YPR, in addition to marshalling over the weekend - [ACHIEVED]
- Have even more fun than 2011 !!! - [ACHIEVED]
Another excellent year for the branch. Overall our membership is down, but this has not impacted attendance at meetings, which has remained strong throughout the year. We have remained very active, and packed an awful lot of activities into the year and laid on some very successful events. A huge thanks to all our meeting regulars and all those who have supported the branch in all our activities. Hip Hip .. Hooray.
Steve Travis, Branch Rep
Finance Officer Report - Financial Report & Audited Accounts for 2012
£1404 income, £1200 expenditure. End balance £747 (minus £300 debt awaited) so £447.
Slight Profit over the year due to a late cashing of a Yorkshire Region donation cheque of £300, if this had been on time then it would have been a very typical year again.
The biggest contributor is not the weekly raffle any more, the raffle raised just under £500 but this is significantly (£400) down on prior years as we used to have rollovers, now every week is a winner.
Events raised £600 this year - the auction £590 and the quiz night £112, charity donations from the auction of £200 were made.
Donations of over £700 were made to Yorkshire Region, and £221 to charity, mostly from the auction. Prior years donations of £1000 would have been matched but we are still awaiting a cheque to Yorkshire Region to be cashed for £300, presented in October at the Yorkshire Region AGM.
Branch costs to run were £60 for mailshots etc, not doing a blanket post out saved us £90 on last years running costs.
Donation to Yorkshire Region to be agreed after Auction, but anticipate Auction income plus £250 from funds.
Justine Travis, Finance Officer
Deputy Rep Report
- online spamming (promoting MAG)
- visited P&D's et al, collecting items for our auction
- helped with post xmas auction
- into the valley photos
- march pet food run
- April Leeds mag egg run
- Did team sober wooley camp, promoted mag in my post as club liaison
- INTO the VALLEY
- did tent Barnsley mag bike show
- Did colne valley pics at their branch agm
- leeds demo run ,filming over motorway
- Yorkshire pudding pics
- vjmc photos at presentation evening, lofthouse wmc
- Leeds mag, Barnsley, Huddersfield mag visits
- east leeds lions xmas do's
- Our mag quiz 14th Nov
- 29th nov nov, attended Fergus funeral
- distributed event flyers
- MAG tent in my storage
- also did my deputy bit when Steve wasn't on duty
all in all a busy year
Eddie Johnson, Deputy Rep & Clubs Liaison
Not present but branch were aware of the successes with getting mention on Ridings FM, Real Radio and in the local press for various events.
Secure parking at Westgate Station became a conflict between the council and the railway and our council contact disappeared. However, a Freedom of Information (FOI) request has been sent re: Powered 2 Wheeler thefts of motorcycles and scooters in the 5 Towns area and steps being taken to address the issue. Police commissioner has had a response from the successful candidate who is now being pursued for actions. Once Ian has the FOI and police response he will take that back to the council as added leverage.
Ian Whittaker, Political Officer
Only sales in the year have been at Dodworth and VJMC shows. Not much stock left and no orders processed this year. Estimated £350 of stock still held against £400 last year. Mick has contacted a new supplier who can do one off runs for products. Suggestion made to circulate a request form in January with full price/deposit to be made up front with the order.
Mick Culpan, Products Officer
Rideout Coordinator's Report
Covered in Reps Report
Covered in Deputy Reps Report
Not present but a thanks went out for all their events from the 10th Wakefield MAG party early last year to date.
MAP Consultative Committee Representative
All meetings attended and various issues brought back for discussion.
Steve Travis, MAP Consultative Committee Representative
Fund Raising Officer
Not present but Raffle held each week - see Finance Report for details.
Covered in Reps Report
5) Election / Re-election of branch officers for 2013
The following officers were elected / re-elected onto the 2013 branch committee, unanimously in all cases:
- Rep: Steve Travis [Proposed: Mick Culpan; Seconded: Bill Kelsall] (Re-elected)
- Deputy Rep: Chas Milner [Proposed: Eddie Johnson; Seconded: Bill Kelsall] (Elected)
- Treasurer: Justine Travis [Proposed: Bill Kelsall; Seconded: Mick Culpan] (Re-elected)
- Products Officer: Mick Culpan [Proposed: Paul Ingham; Seconded: Justine Travis] (Re-elected)
- Political Officer: Ian Whittaker [Proposed: Justine Travis; Seconded: Bill Kelsall] (Re-elected)
- Social Committee: Lorna Jaques & Cathy Parker [vacant at AGM, elected following week]
- MAP Consultative Committee - Wakefield Rep: Steve Travis [Proposed: Bill Kelsall; Seconded: Martin Burgess] (Re-elected)
- MAP Consultative Committee - Deputy Wakefield Rep: Eddie Johnson [Proposed: Bill Kelsall; Seconded: Martin Burgess] (Re-elected)
- Press Officer: Sharon Scott [Proposed: Justine Travis; Seconded: Eddie Johnson] (Elected)
- Membership Secretary: Steve Travis [Proposed: Bill Kelsall; Seconded: Ian Whittaker] (Re-elected)
- Clubs Liaison Officer: Eddie Johnson [Proposed: Phil Statham; Seconded: Bill Kelsall] (Re-elected)
- Fundraising Officer: Chas Milner [Proposed: Justine Travis; Seconded: Eddie Johnson] (Elected)
- Auditors: Ian Whittaker & Martin Burgess [Proposed: Justine Travis; Seconded: Phil Statham] (Re-elected)
Four motions submitted to the AGM:
1) Review Raffle Fund Raising Activity
We agreed to review raffle success following changes introduced early in 2012. Raffle stats:
- 2008 raffle raised £446.43 (with raffle tickets & guaranteed 2x wine prizes)
- Bonus Ball (poker chips) Raffle introduced in Jan 2009 (possibly no winner if numbers not drawn)
- 2011 raffle raised £884.18
- 2012 raffle format changed at AGM to cash prize instead of wine (1st £5, 2nd £3, but only one guaranteed winner (£5), 2nd prize would only be won if matching bonus ball drawn)
- Format changed again on 21st March 2012 to only one guaranteed prize - £5, based on one draw of raffle tickets sold; Whatever remains after £5 prize is the raffle profit
- 2012 raffle raised £547.56
Suggestions to increase raffle revenue:
- Revert back to Bonus Ball with no guaranteed winners every week, all depends on bonus ball number drawn
- Maintain current system but alter time raffle is done to maximise numbers buying a ticket (holding raffle after meeting means some meeting attendees have actually left by the time the raffle tickets are sold)
- Any other ideas to increase raffle revenue ?
Proposer: Steve Travis; Seconder: Paul Ingham
Outcome after discussions of pro's and con's was to adopt option 2) i.e. leave raffle format as is but start raffle at beginning of meeting to maximise ticket sales, potentailly throw open to rest of pub and review in 6 months time.
2) All funds raised during 2013 to be donated to MAG fighting fund
Reason - due to the disastrous fall in profits of all three MAP rallies due to inclement weather conditions in 2012 I feel it is not prudent to give to other charities at this time however deserving they may be. Let us not forget the primary function of a MAG region is to raise money to fund MAG which is its main source of income and without which will find it increasingly difficult to function efficiently and may well result in forced redundancy of key personnel. The charities we have given to in the past are not solely reliant on our contribution and unfortunately we are in a situation where we are unable to support them at this time.
Friendly amendment accepted to exclude 1 event - annual post-Xmas auction was accepted.
Proposer: Mick Culpan; Seconder: Steve Travis
3) Investigate the possibility of organising motor cycle first aid course
Proposer: Mick Culpan; Seconder: Steve Travis
4) Intercom system for lead & tail marshals on organised rideouts
Look in to the possibility of purchasing a bike to bike intercom system for the lead and last rider in the group. Motion withdrawn as not necessary - intercom was donated to the branch and is to be passed to Mick as Rideout Coordinator.
Proposer: Mick Culpan; Seconder: Steve Travis
7) Objectives and branch development plan for the forthcoming year (2013)
Objectives and branch development plan for the forthcoming year (2013) agreed after discussion:
- Work with Wakefield Council - Provision of Secure Parking (with assistance of new WY Police commissioner); Attend transport consultation committees & submit Pot hole survey(s)
- Host a meeting with WY Police Commissioner
- Continue to support Wakefield Hospice events - Marshal Wakefield Hospice 10K road race
- Initiate Major recruitment drive to increase MAG membership within WF postcode area (Target 100 minimum)
- Maximise Fund raising for MAG fighting fund – Target: £1,000
- Continue to support other local MAG groups with their activities
- Continue to host our long standing annual events:
- Post Christmas Auction
- Pet Food Run
- Birthday Party
- Bike Show (dependant upon finding another host)
- Treasure Hunt (dependent upon rideout coordinator)
- Biker Quiz Nite
- Continue to support the major MAG rallies (ITV, FYP, YPR) – push for 2 marshalling shifts p.p.
- Continue to support VJMC with hosting their Japanese Bike Show (if they hold it)
- Take an active role with the set-up & take-down of the YPR, in addition to marshalling over the weekend
- Ensure everyone is aware of and has signed the ethanol e-petition.
- Advertise our presence in Wakefield District - Ensure MAG posters with rep contact details are displayed prominently in all local dealerships etc.
8) Presentation to branch heroes
Awards were presented for the branch heroes of 2012, based on points accumulated by members for attendance/participation in MAG/Branch events over the course of the year.
Our branch heroes for 2012 were:
- Most attendances: Pete McGowan (675 points)
- Most attendances runner-up: Lorna Jaques (660 points)
- Most attendances to Branch meetings on a bike: Steve 'Jagster' Jagger (30 meetings). Jagster's second win of this hotly contested category
- Chairman's Award (biggest contribution to the branch): Social Committee (Sue & Lorna)
- Honourable mentions: All event & rally marshals; Deputies (Eddie & Chas); Ian (for Political work); all the Wakefield MAG meeting regulars for being jolly good eggs !!!
9) Any other business
No AOB raised
10) Date of Next AGM
The date of the next AGM was set for Wednesday 15th January 2014
The meeting closed at 22:15 hrs.
Wakefield MAG Rep