Wakefield & District MAG
Minutes of the 16th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Held at 8:00pm on Wednesday 10th January 2018, at the Grey Horse, Kirkgate, Wakefield
1) Welcome by chair and introduction of Yorkshire Region / National Observer
Steve Travis, Branch Chairman & Rep opened the meeting at 20:10 hrs. Andy Foody, Yorkshire Regional Vice-Rep in attendance as Region observer.
All members in the branch area had previously been notified via email, the December 2017 mailshot, of the date, time, venue and agenda for the 2017 AGM. The details of the AGM were also publicised in The Road magazine, on the branch website (wakefield.mag-uk.org) and the MAG website (www.mag-uk.org).
Apologies received from Clare Ellam (Social Committee and Rideout Committee), James Dewart and Chas Milner (Deputy Rep and Fund Raising Officer) for non-attendance at the AGM
3) Minutes of previous AGM and matters arising
Several copies of the minutes of the previous AGM (for the 2016 year), held on Wednesday 11th January 2017 were circulated. These minutes were also published on the branch website immediately following the 2016 AGM. The minutes were Proposed (Terry Scott) and Seconded (Pete Taplin) and voted on by all meeting attendees as being a true and accurate account of that meetings proceedings.
No Matters Arising
4) Committee Reports
Reps Annual Report for 2016
Covered in Finance Officers Report
RALLIES & OTHER SOCIAL EVENTS
- Hosted our 13th Post Christmas Auction raising funds for MAG (£340) in addition to £40 each for 3 charities (Yorkshire Air Ambulance, Wakefield Hospice and NABD) and £50 for Kidzaware
- Hosted our 5th Bingo night in February, raising £254.50 (clear profit after deducting all the prizes), all of which goes into the MAG Fighting Fund
- Held our 8th (and final) Charity Pet Food Run in March to Whitehall Dog Rescue in East Ardsley and RSPCA at Tingley, delivering doggie treats
- Celebrated our 15th Birthday in April with a well attended trip to the Dog Racing at Kinsley
- Helped our local charity (Wakefield Hospice) with their annual 10K Race (Wakefield MAG providing Mobile Race Marshals) - something we have done for a good many years now
- Attended & marshalled at ITV
- Hosted a Bike Show at the Wakefield May Day Gala - We had around around 40 bikes, combos and trikes in the show, with lots of comings and goings over the day. Yorkshire MAG stand hosted at the Gala too. The MAG stand did very well and we gave out huge amounts of literature and back copies of the Road magazine, fielded countless queries, sold quite a few Wakefield MAG products (incl. our last jacket for £30) and joined up 6 new MAG members. The tombola was particularly successful pulling in £142, whilst the sweets game raised a further £38, all of which goes towards the MAG fighting fund
- Marshalled Blues tent at FYP
- Held a well attended Sea Fishing Trip in July
- Members attended & marshalled YPR
- Held our 3rd Weekend in a Lake District Camping Barn event, attended by 6 members on 6 bikes
- Held a Leaving Do in October for one of our members (Cath Parker) who was retiring to Sunny Spain
- Hosted our 6th Bingo Night in October (raised a total of £296.62 (clear profit after deducting all the prizes), all of which goes into the MAG Fighting Fund)
- Hosted our 14th Biker Quiz Nite
- Attended the City of Wakefield Memorial Sunday Service, laying a Wakefield MAG wreath
- Members also supported the Royal British Legion Riders Branch parade and service at Mirfield
- Organised our 2nd Christmas Present Collection for Kidaware, a local Wakefield based charity
- Held a very well attended Christmas Do
- Multiple rideouts (monthly & evening) held throughout the year, attracting members and non-members alike
- Held monthly social nights, including such delights as Darts Competitions, Scalextric Racing, and numerous themed quizzes
- Supported (by members attending) most other Yorkshire Branches events where we could
- Attended the MAP meetings to help plan / organise the Yorkshire MAG rallies
- Attended the MAG National Annual General Conference in September in March, Cambridgeshire
- Attended all the Yorkshire MAG Region meetings (or sent report)
- Members attended the Yorkshire MAG AGM
- Supported National Campaigns by contacting MP's / signing petitions etc
- Very active in West Yorkshire politically with Ian our political officer (one of the three amigos), along with Leeds & Huddersfield branches attending various meetings, reviewing proposals etc, with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority Transport forum - we now have bike access to bus lanes in Wakefield (the first of the five WY Councils to implement this !!!!)
- See Political Officer Report for further details of political activity
- 2017 Membership exactly same as previous year with 85 current members (as at December 2017 Mailshot). This is positive as the previous year (2016) was 3% Down on the year before that (2015). Previous stats:
- 85 members in 2016
- 88 members in 2015
- 82 members in 2014
- 93 members in 2013
- 83 members in 2012
- 99 members in 2011
- 105 members in 2010
- 113 members in 2009
- 116 in 2008 (highest ever membership)
- Average membership over past 10 years: 95
- Membership retention slightly down !!!
- Expired (and didn't renew in 2017): 20
- Expired (and didn't renew in 2016): 17;
- Expired (and didn't renew in 2015): 18;
- Expired (and didn't renew in 2014): 27
- Maintaining membership level with an increased drop-off rate is a net membership increase !!!
- Meeting attendance has maintained steady throughout the years (15 - 20), despite underlying membership stats
- 11 Monthly newsletters produced (but one a bumper one covering 2 months) covering local, regional and national news & updates (published on the website, emailed to members and plugged on Facebook too (website stats show these are widely read)
- Annual mailshot letter sent in December to advertise AGM and chase lapsed members
- Website regularly maintained with current content & events reports for all of the events and activities we get involved with. Site is regularly looked at (31,100 hits over the last 9.5 years). Site gets a lot of praise at the NC and is held up as a model MAG Branch web site
Facebook site maintained with current content & currently 434 members of the Wakefield MAG Facebook Group (unfortunately, they are not all MAG members)
ACHIEVEMENTS AGAINST 2017 PLAN
- Continue with our involvement in the Combined Authority Political Campaign, alongside Leeds & Huddersfield MAG [ACHIEVED]
- Continue to support Wakefield Hospice events:
- Marshal Wakefield Hospice 10K road race [ACHIEVED]
- Initiate Major recruitment drive to increase MAG membership within WF postcode area (Target: 100 members) [PARTIALLY ACHIEVED - membership is the same as 2016, and this is with a bigger retention loss, hence, a net membership gain in reality]
- Forge stronger ties with Wakefield based Bike & Scooter clubs [NOT ACHIEVED - but, relatively few clubs in the Wakefield District]
- Maximise Fund raising for MAG fighting fund - Target: £1,800 (to match our 2015 record) [NOT ACHIEVED - We donated £1,500 (with a reasonable bank balance in reserve), which matched the previous year (2016)]
Continue to support other local MAG groups with their activities [ACHIEVED]
- Continue to host our major annual events:
- Post Christmas Auction [ACHIEVED]
- Pet Food Run [ACHIEVED]
- Birthday Bash [ACHIEVED]
- Bike Show (at Wakefield Gala) [ACHIEVED]
- Lakes Camping Weekend [ACHIEVED]
- Bingo Night (x2) [ACHIEVED]
- Mass attendance at Wakefield & Mirfield Memorial Services / Parades [ACHIEVED]
- Biker Quiz Nite [ACHIEVED]
- Continue to support the major Yorkshire MAG rallies (ITV, FYP, YPR) - at least one marshalling shift p.p. for every Wakefield MAG member attending [PARTIALLY ACHIEVED - vast majority of attending members marshalled, but not quite everyone]
- Hold formal organised rideouts:
- monthly Sunday ride-outs (April-October) - (including a memorial run for our dearly departed members) [ACHIEVED]
- Summer weekday evening ride-outs (Speedway et al) [ACHIEVED]
- Get regular coverage in Wakefield Express and/or other local papers e.g. Cas & Ponte Express etc [ACHIEVED]
We now celebrate 16 consecutive years as an active MAG Branch (we are old enough to legally ride a moped on the road). In those 16 years, we haven't had to reform / re-launch to keep going. The net Membership numbers have increased by remaining static in terms of overall numbers, when set against an increased member drop-off rate. Meeting attendance has remained very strong throughout the year and the majority of meetings have around 15-20 members in attendance (circa. 23% of MAG Members in the area attend their branch meetings - Nationally, 10% is the 'best' average).
We have been successful again in our fund raising for the MAG fighting fund, matching last years donation. We have remained very active, and packed an awful lot of activities into the year and laid on some very successful events.
All in all, another highly successful year for the branch. A huge thanks to all our meeting regulars and all those who have supported the branch in all our activities. Hip Hip .... Hooray.
Deputy Rep Report
- Put up Poster for MAG Events
- Collect Items for Auction from Traders
- Acted as one of the Auctioneers
- Ride Outs Attended:
- 7 branch rideouts attended - back marker performed (the group shared their thanks for his support on the rideouts)
- Wakefield Hospice Marshalling
- 2 Yorkshire Region MAG Meetings
- Social Events: Birthday evening at Kinsley greyhound track, bingo nights, quiz nights, May Day Gala
- Submitted General Knowledge Questions for Quiz Night
- Deputised for Branch Rep at weekly meetings when necessary
- If re-elected I would be happy to continue as your deputy rep.
Chas Milner, Vice-Rep - 126291
Finance Officer Report - Financial Report & Audited Accounts for 2017
Income £1907 - slight increase against £1842 prior year
End of year balance £534.99 - allowed to hold £250 so need to donate post-auction
|April - Donations||NABD|
|June||Tent & Helmet Sale||Nil||£75|
£117 (minus £22 cost)
Ave £42 pm
Events raised over £1259 this year (£1000 in 2016) - extra bingo again raised us back to just over 2015
Raffle £503 averaging £42 pm, decreased due to social nights when raffle not run and income logged under events instead
Donation of £1500 made to Yorkshire Region as per 2016, but expect we can make an additional donation after the auction
Justine Travis, Finance Officer - 97510
Auditors concurred - Ian Whittaker - 115847, Martin Burgess - 126979
Stock sales have been limited in 2017 (which has become the norm really) with the usual patches, stickers etc going at our May Day Gala Bike Show.
On the plus side we did get rid of 2 x Bomber Jackets and 1 x Flag (which I believe has been around since before the invention of the internal combustion engine).
On the down side the 3 products mentioned were all sold at a small loss which is why the attached sheet shows £76.00 of sales and a profit of -£13.38 but 3 sold is better than 3 dead stock!
Moving into 2018 if anyone wants to take over as Products Person I'd be happy to relinquish the role but help them whenever required.
Martin Burgess, Products Officer - 126979
Simon asked if the products could be seen - branch decided to take pictures and add to the website.
This year again has been dominated by attending numerous meetings at the WYCA along with both Manny and Steve.
Although progress has been demonstrated by the fact we are now included in plans but progress is painfully slow.
After reviewing minutes of past meetings and getting an update from WYCA although the plan has been approved, this only took place in August last year. It has also become apparent that although all councils have representation at the WYCA, in effect WYCA develop strategy and recommend action, implementation is down to local councils.
It may be that next year our emphasis should be concentrated on local councils an councillors with direct meetings by members at councillors surgeries, and if possible attendance at council meetings.
To close on a more positive note we do have access to 1 bus lane and following monies allocated by WYCA we hopefully can have some secure parking. We must continue to monitor and work locally to ensure promises of action by local councils are followed through with no disadvantages to motorcyclists.
Ian Whittaker, Political Officer - 115847
- Helped to collect goods for the Post Xmas Auction and prizes for raffle, selling raffle tickets at the event, keeping tally of buyers and all sales, taking money from buyers and totalling up cash raised.
- Sold tickets for raffle and 1 to 90 tickets at February and October Bingo Nights, and raffle tickets at Biker Quiz Night.
- Made enquiries and bookings and collected monies for MAG Birthday Bash at Kinsley Greyhound Stadium and Mag Xmas Do at Estabula.
- Collected prizes and stuck tickets on them for the tombola stall and organised the lollypop game at May Day Gala, thanks to Becky Jaques for manning and organising the tombola. Helped to set up, man and clear up our MAG event area.
- We also had 7 social evenings throughout the year. Thanks to all concerned for the ideas and organisation that made them all enjoyable.
- Lorna took all the donations to KidzAware and attended various meetings to agree what we could do for Easter and Xmas. A big thank you to Dan and his customers for what they collected.
Sharon Scott - 132886 & Lorna Jaques - 120474, Social Committee
Rideout Coordinator's Reports
- One of three designated ride co-ordinators, I led 3 of our regular monthly ride outs in 2017: One to Ripley (not Ripon) and Harewood Hill Climb, one to Hornsea via the Humber Bridge and one to Whitby (our memorial ride).
- All 3 rides went very well and were well attended by MAG members, regular meeting attendees as well as friends and non-members.
- Reports for all 3 ride outs were submitted and duly uploaded to our web site.
- I attended other ride outs (lead by Clare and Kane) which were also successful with good choices of routes, destinations and generally good days out.
- I'd like to thank all attendees (members and non-members) for making the ride outs and for making all the planning worth-while with their positive feedback and general banter on the day.
- I'd particularly like to thank Chas for being our regular 'back marker' - a position he assumes without question.
- Finally I'm happy to lead ride outs in 2018 under our current system of sharing the work load.
Martin Burgess, Rideout Coordinator
MAP Consultative Committee Representative
Being asked and voted in to do MAP committee Rep for 2017 I expected to give it a go with Bob by my side. I'm writing this report for Bob and I. Over the year we have attended all MAP meetings, discussed different items. Brought back any information to group to help us move forward as a unit. Also was involved in the sale of rally tickets.
Lorna Jaques, Bob Kendall, MAP Consultative Committee Representative
E-mail Wakefield Express and Ridings FM Studio of the following events:
- Post Christmas Auction - January (got a reply from Ridings FM saying they would)
- Bingo Night-February
- Dog Food Run-March
- Bike show at May Day Gala
- May Social Evening (Quiz)
- August Social (Darts)
- September Social (Cinema Quiz)
- Bingo Night October
- Biker Quiz Night November
- December Social (Xmas Quiz)
Sharon Scott, Press Officer - 132886
Tracy Wheldon, Clubs Liaison Officer not in attendance and no report submitted
Fund Raising Officer
If re-elected I would be happy to continue as your fund raising officer.
The group wished Chas a great holiday, were looking forward to his return and thanked him for his hard work and cheerful attitude all year.
- Acting as one of the Auctioneers to raise Funds for MAG
- Organise weekly raffle and ride-out raffle to generate funds
- Helped at May Day gala on products and tombola
- Called bingo on the last bingo night held
- Events that Generate Funds:
- Post Christmas Auction
- May Day Tombola and prize on lollipop
- Bingo Nights
- Quiz Nights - monthly social nights
- Weekly and Ride-Out Raffles
- A Huge Thank you to ALL MEMBERS who donated prizes, and have also helped me with these Events throughout 2017
- The Finance Officer presented the Total Amount of Funds raised for 2017 in her report
Chas Milner, Fund Raising Officer - 126291
Covered in Reps Report
Covered in Reps Report.
5) Election / Re-election of branch officers for 2017
The following officers were elected / re-elected onto the 2018 branch committee, unanimously in all cases:
- Rep: Steve Travis - 97513 [Proposed: Sam Allen; Seconded: Bob Kendall] (Re-elected)
- Deputy Rep: Chas Milner - 126291 [Proposed: Bob Kendall; Seconded: Ian Whittaker] (Re-elected)
- Treasurer: Justine Travis - 97510 [Proposed: Lorna Jaques; Seconded: Martin Burgess] (Re-elected)
- Products Officer: Martin Burgess - 126979 [Proposed: Simon; Seconded:Steve Travis (Re-elected)
- Political Officer: Ian Whittaker - 115847 [Proposed: Sharon Scott; Seconded: Terry Scott] (Re-elected)
- Auditors: Ian Whittaker - 115847 & Martin Burgess - 126979 [Proposed: Justine Travis, Seconded: Pete Taplin] (Re-elected)
- Social Committee: Lorna Jaques - 120474, Sharon Scott - 132886, Clare Ellam - 127201 [Proposed: Justine Travis; Seconded: Steve Travis] (Re-elected)
- Rideout Committee: Martin Burgess - 126979; Clare Ellam - 127201; Kane Scott - 132886 (new for 2018) [Proposed: Ian Whittaker, Seconded: Sharon Scott] (Elected)
- MAP Consultative Committee - Wakefield Rep: Lorna Jaques - 120474 [Proposed: Martin Burgess; Seconded: Simon] (Elected)
- MAP Consultative Committee - Deputy Wakefield Rep: Sam Allen - 86518 [Proposed: Martin Burgess; Seconded: Simon] (Elected)
- Press Officer: Sharon Scott - 132886 [Proposed: Ian Whittaker; Seconded: Martin Burgess] (Re-elected)
- Membership Secretary: [Agreed to remove as a seperate officer post as it is integral to the Reps role, particularly with data protection legislation changes in 2018] [All branch members responsible for recruiting new members and promoting the branch / MAG anyway]
- Clubs Liaison Officer: Martin Burgess - 126979 [Proposed: Steve Travis; Seconded: Sam Allen] (Elected)
- Fundraising Officer: Chas Milner - 126291 [Proposed: Justine Travis; Seconded: Bob Kendall] (Re-elected)
- Webmaster: Steve Travis - 97513 & Sam Allen - 86518 (as backup) [Proposed:Lorna Jaques ; Seconded: Sharon Scott] (Re-elected)
7) Objectives and branch development plan for the forthcoming year (2018)
Steve as Re-Elected Rep presented the 2018 Branch Development Plan which was discussed and agreed, as follows:
- Continue with our involvement in the Combined Authority Political Campaign, alongside Leeds & Huddersfield MAG
- Specific Campaign in Wakefield for the provision of free secure bike parking by working with Councillors to ensure the WYCA award provision is spent 'wisely' and in alignment with MAG's aims and objectives
- Continue to support Wakefield Hospice with marshalling their Wakefield Hospice 10K road race
- Increase MAG membership within WF postcode area (Target: An increase in overall membership from the 2017 membership base (>85 members)
- Forge stronger ties with Wakefield based Bike & Scooter clubs
- Maximise Fund raising for MAG fighting fund. Target: £1,600 (to exceed the previous 2 years donations of £1,500)
- Continue to support other local MAG groups with their activities
- Continue to host our growing list of annual events:
- Post Christmas Auction
- Pet Food Collection (to replace the previous runs, which have fallen off in popularity)
- Birthday Bash - agreed to repeat the visit to the Greyhound Racing at Kinsley to celebrate our birthday
- Easter Egg Collection (in aid of Wakefield based Charity Kidzaware)
- Bike Show (at Wakefield Gala)
- Lakes Camping Weekend
- Bingo Night(s) - add an additional one to make 3 in total (the bingo regulars have requested an additional one !!)
- Attendance at Remembrance Day Services / Parades
- Biker Quiz Nite
- Kidzaware Christmas Toy Collection
- Christmas Do (Christmas Meal & Pub Crawl)
- Continue to support the major Yorkshire MAG rallies (ITV, FYP, YPR) – at least one marshalling shift p.p. for every
Wakefield MAG member attending
- Hold formal organised ride-outs:
- Monthly Sunday ride-outs (March-October) - (including a memorial run for our dearly departed members). Agreed at least one rideout should be specifically advertised / publicised as a Learner rideout (to encourage learners and new riders)
- 2 Summer weekday evening ride-outs (Speedway et al)
- Submit regular press releases / event adverts for coverage in Wakefield Express and/or other local papers e.g. Cas & Ponte Express
8) Presentation to Branch Heroes
Awards were presented for the branch heroes of 2017, based on points accumulated by members for attendance/participation in MAG/Branch events over the course of the year.
Our branch heroes for 2017 were:
- Most attendances: Martin Burgess (655 points)
- Most attendances runner-up: Lorna Jaques (590 points)
- Most attendances to Branch meetings on a bike: Ashley West (19 occurances)
- Chairman's Award (biggest contribution to the branch): Clare Ellam for the extra effort and additional roles she has continued to take on
- Honourable mentions: All event & rally marshals; all the Wakefield MAG meeting regulars for being jolly good eggs !!!
9) Any other business
Bob - Raffle suggestion we have a £5 raffle once or twice a year and the winner gets MAG membership for a year - suggested we combine with one of our larger events and with the caveat that you cannot win it twice (in a single year). Agreed to discuss ways to run it at a future meeting. Potential also suggested for running another 'El Gordo' Super raffle but this time rally tickets could be the bumper prize. To be discussed at a subsequent meeting to agree how it may work in practice.
10) Date of Next AGM
The date of the next AGM was set for Wednesday 16th January 2019.
The meeting closed at 22:15 hrs.
Andy Foody as Regional Observer stated it was run in a democratic manner in line with the MAG Constitution, and as usual, it was a pleasure attending.
Wakefield MAG Rep